Did you know that door handles in most American commercial and industrial buildings are lever operated rather than having a knob? This is to facilitate the easy opening of doors by the elderly and children, who may find it difficult to turn a knob. Such considerations need to be taken care of while choosing the door hardware for our homes and offices. But most of us choose door hardware randomly without giving thought to their safety and aesthetic value. A handle which may look beautiful but is not at all sturdy is of no use at all. Similarly a strong but dull and drab handle can spoil the whole look of your interiors or home. Door handles need to be chosen with great care and approaching a reputed supplier offering a vast variety will make the job easier for you.
Considerations in Choosing the Door and Cabinet Handles
Making informed decisions is always fruitful, so choose your door and cabinet handles after looking at their design, size, style and sturdiness. You can opt for brass, aluminum, steel or any other type of handle depending on your requirements. Let’s look at some of the factors which need to be considered while making your choice:
- The theme and style you have planned for you home- The handles for your doors and cabinets should be in sync with the overall style and not look out of date. So you can choose from contemporary, modern or colorful designs depending on your chosen theme.
- Handles can be made of brass, chrome, wrought iron, acrylic, aluminum, stainless steel, porcelain or even glass. Choose the one which suits the style and coloring of your room or the background wall. While the wrought iron and brass handles look ideal in traditional settings, chrome or satin look handles look better in contemporary settings. Since acrylic handles are easy to maintain and clean, they can be selected for the rooms of your children.
- Handles may come with a lever or a knob. You can choose the one that you feel will be easily opened and closed even by children. Door levers are more appropriate in case of disabled people or children.
- Handles with security locks may be chosen depending on the location of the door, such as whether it is a bedroom or a bathroom door or the front door to your house.
- One can opt for door knockers for your front doors and stoppers for other doors to prevent banging of the door with the wall and preventing any kind of damage.
- Choose designs and handles that are going to last for a long time besides being easy to clean and maintain.
By ensuring that the door handles and cabinet handles or your home, office or commercial space are user friendly, you not only make it easier for people to feel comfortable in the surroundings, you make the place easier to access by those who might have difficulties with using their hands or are too young to have the strength to work knobs. Apart from these considerations, you need to keep in mind your budget. By doing some basic online research, you will not only ensure that you get the best quality hardware, you can also get yourself the best deal on offer.